Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Marathon Cooldown

There is no such thing.  It doesn't exist.  I don't believe in it.  It's in my blood.  It's in my nature.  I have sweated the pains, the chafing, the sores, "can't move it hurts so bad" on my first few marathons, yes.  But 15 years later?  Learning running form has changed all that.  It's only been a week since I completed the Clearwater Distance Classic and I want more.  I'm already planning my next marathon, my next challenge, my next accomplishment.  I can't get enough of running.

It's not because of the medals, T-shirts, nor the challenge of running 26.2 miles.  I love getting outside and seeing how far I can go.  I want to discover new places and new trails.  I love getting out on that road or that trail and enjoying the day.  There is so much to discover, so much to see, and so far to go.  That's the runner's high.  That's how you enjoy the thrill of running.  It's not the distance you go that takes you to that runner's high.  It's the experience.  

I can't cooldown.  I don't know how to do that.  As soon as I'm done with a marathon I want more.  Does that make me crazy?  Maybe.  However, I do know what it makes me -- a runner.  And more importantly -- a marathon runner.



No comments:

Post a Comment